BIOCONSULTING Dr. I.Pascik
Consulting on Environmental Technology
The solution of special environmental problems like the biological removal of complex pollutants such as AOX, pesticides, nitrogene, etc. requires
especially for the
- very specialized knowledge and
- practical experience in these fields, which is usually not widespread,
- correct analysis and diagnosis of problems,
- negotiations with authorities
- planning, development and valuation of process alternatives and
- realization of problem solving projects.
show some essential differences compared with conventional chemical processes, influencing remarkably development and design:
Because of these peculiarities it is virtually not possible to “copy” environmental bioprocesses unchanged from one application to the other, they are adapted to every particular case by
- fluctuating flow rates and loads,
- fluctuating concentrations and kinds of pollutants,
- while the „final products“ should have constant quality (low degree of pollution).
The transfer of already realized solutions is only recommendable for a limited number of standard cases.
- experimental determination of basic process data and relating
- process design individually case by case.
Risks and failures can be avoided by Practice related experimental
work with several targets like
Decisive condition for the success of such experimental work is a correct conception of the tests, with following MILESTONES:
- determination of biodegradability of pollutants under simulated
commercial plant conditions,
- optimization of process parameters for single steps of treatment
- improval of the efficiency and stability of the processes in
existing plants and
- comparison and judgement of process alternatives.
The expenses for such experimental work are usually representing a very small part of the total investment for a full scale plant, but the basic data achieved in the tests offer a remarkably higher reliability and reduced risks of failure in the design.
Further they can contribute to lower the investment by up to 40%. Therefore, such experiments and the information gained are essential for an optimal problem solution.
- RESEARCH TARGETS, CORE QUESTIONS
- TEST CONCEPT (THEORETICAL APROACH)
- REALISATION (EXPERIMENTAL PART)
- RESULTS, their EVALUATION with DISCUSSION and
1,0 L aerobic plant
2,0 L anaerobic plant
Laboratory scale plants for continuous biotreatment tests
Selected reference pilot scale projects (partially realized also commercial scale*):
Nitrification-denitrification of complex effluents
- Anaerobic treatment of landfill leachates of the city of 300.00 E.I.*
- Anaerobic-aerobic treatment of toxic pulp mill bleaching effluents by immobilized organisms*
- Anaerobic-aerobic treatment of chemical effluents, rich in aromatic and organohalogenic (AOX) compounds
- Anaerobic-aerobic C+N-elimination from agrochemical effluents by immobilized organisms*
- Anaerobic treatment of chemical effluents, rich in sulphate (COD:SO4 ~ 0,3)
- Biodegradation of diazo- and phtalocyanine dyestuffs and their intermediates (substituted aromatic sulfonic acids)*
Biotreatment of waste gases
- COD- und TKN-elimination from landfill leachates of the city of Cologne *
- Simultaneous aerobic Nitrification and Denitrification of NH4N-rich municipal sludge processing effluents
- Nitrification of high-saline (~ 45 bis 55 g/L NaCl) chemical effluents by immobilized organisms
- Effect of enhanced salinity in chemical effluents, on the bio-degrading performance of biomass*
- Decentral detoxification of a single stream, containing arylamines (inhibitors for nitrification)*
- High-efficiency-nitrification of effluents from the production of pharmacy grade gelatine
- Nitrification of NH4N-rich effluents from the production of dyestuffs by immobilized organisms
Biotreatment of sludges and soils
- Biological treatment of CS2 and H2S containing waste gases of the Chemical Industry (fungicides and foils) in a bio-trickling-filter (BTF)*
- Biotreatment of waste gases, containing toluene, dichlormethane and active substances from the production of agrochemicals in BTF*
- Indoor biological wet filtration of air in a storage hall for plastic wastes, polluted with sporogenic bacteria and micels of fungus.*
- Bioremediation of AOX-rich soils of a chemical site using selected mixed cultures
- Enzymatically supported digestion of municipal sludges*